I’m Katy, owner and pie lover! My mom instilled a love of baking in me from a young age, and I always thought it would be fun to own my own business. Instead, I pursued a career in retail buying.
My experience in business taught me a lot, and made me realize what's important to me: focusing on sustainability, supporting local farmers, enjoying seasonal flavors and spending time with family and friends.
My husband, Ethan worked at a pie shop in Michigan, where he learned to make pie. After we got married, he'd make pies and I fell in love (with pie). We started making pies together - he'd make the crusts and I'd make the fillings. One day, I was making a pie, and the dream came to me. I wanted to open a pie shop.
We started Bean & Pie in July 2017 out of our tiny home kitchen, working around our full-time jobs, selling pies to family and friends and any spaces around town that would host us for pop-ups. Word quickly got out about our pies made with local and organic ingredients. In 2018, we did the Kendall Yards Night Market and the Downtown CDA Kootenai County Farmers Market.
By the end of the market season, we were committed to opening a pie shop. In November of 2018, we launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to open a shop. In less than 24 hours, we were halfway to our total fundraising goal, over $10k! Of course we celebrated with a pie party for backers.
Our Kickstarter campaign was fully funded in a month - raising $21,283 with the support of 251 people! We got to work finding the perfect space.
In 2019, we expanded to five farmers markets, I was able to finally quit my day job and we brought on our first employees!
Our planned shop opening is late 2019 in Coeur d'Alene, a place where you can enjoy a cup of coffee with a slice of pie. A place to slow down and enjoy the little moments.
About Bean & Pie
Our vision is to create amazing pies with as many local and organic ingredients as possible that people can enjoy together.
Small changes add up to a lot. We want to do our part to leave the world in a better place, while serving you and your family delicious pie!
Here are a couple of our practices:
- We source as much locally and seasonally as we can. Much of our fruit is local, from fertile Central Washington and Idaho.
- Our tins are high quality and can be used again. Long after you enjoy your pie from us, you can wash and re-use the tin for many purposes before recycling.
- Our cardboard boxes are made from post-consumer content so new trees are not cut in the process.
- We thicken our fillings with cornstarch or flour - no fillers or preservatives. If you're going to indulge, indulge well!
- We minimize waste and strive to compost our fruit trimmings as much as possible.
- Most importantly, we encourage you to share the pie, create a memory with the ones you love, and enjoy!