I’m Katy, owner and pie lover! My mom instilled a love of baking in me from a young age, and I always thought it would be fun to own my own business. Instead, I pursued a career in retail buying after studying Fashion Merchandising. My experience in business has taught me a lot, and made me realize what's important to me: focusing on sustainability, supporting local farmers, enjoying seasonal flavors, spending time with family and friends, and most importantly, butter. The thing these ideas had in common was pie. Bean & Pie was born. The name represents a love of coffee & pie (conveniently, Bean is also my last name).
My husband, Ethan worked at a well-known pie shop in Michigan – where he mastered the art of crimping the perfect crust – before serving six years in the Army. After he was done serving, he attended WSU to study Biology. He’s super into trees and plants and stuff like that. (My words, not his!)
When we’re not baking pies, we enjoy time outdoors together, whether running, biking, or hiking in the mountains looking for the perfect huckleberry spot.
About Bean & Pie
Our vision is to create amazing pies with local ingredients and flavors that draws people together.
For the time being, we make pies in a rented commercial kitchen in small batches and sell our pies at community events. Our goal is to one day open a pie shop drive-thru shop that serves killer coffee and farm-to-table pie.
Small changes add up to a lot. We want to do our part to leave the world in a better place, while serving you and your family delicious pie!
Here are a couple of our practices:
- We don't fill our pies with junk. We thicken our fillings with cornstarch or flour - no fillers or preservatives. If you're going to indulge, indulge well!
- We source as much locally and seasonally as we can. Much of our fruit is local, from fertile Central Washington and Idaho.
- Our tins are high quality and can be used again. Long after you enjoy your pie from us, you can wash and re-use the tin for many purposes before recycling.
- Our cardboard boxes are made from post-consumer content so new trees are not cut in the process.
- We minimize waste as much as possible and compost our fruit trimmings.
- Most importantly, we encourage you to share the pie, create a memory with the ones you love, and enjoy!